Monday, July 21, 2014

old art from high school

I took art for four years in high school. I had always aspired to be an artist and I wanted to get into AP Studio Art (and I could have), but I was too scared. I'm currently in college now, and I thought I wouldn't want to pursue art in my career…but that's slowly changing.

I once had a dream to become a manga artist, and I thought that was slightly unrealistic for me. But that doesn't mean I can't draw anything at all in relation to my career! There's plenty of digital art and design  tools that I can dig my hands into now~

But anyhow, this blogpost is to show the art I did in my years of high school. I originally saw Jim Chapman's blog post about this and decided to give it a go!

I found pieces mostly from junior year, Art III, where we choose a concentration and draw several pieces around it. The theme I chose (oddly) was Little Red Riding Hood. I'd been brainstorming a theme for a few days and settled on this because of a poem I heard in SAT prep. What I remember of the poem now is that Little Red whipped a pistol out and shot the Wolf, and I thought that was awesome. A twist upon a classic, that's why I decided to use that as my concentration I guess!

(I just looked up the poem on google, and it is titled Little Red Riding Hood And The Wolf  by Roald Dahl.)

Without further ado, here are my (semi-horrible) pieces~

Little Red wearing the skin of the Wolf
Tools: Watercolor pencils & charcoal

After she killed the Wolf
Tools: Charcoal & acrylic paint

Alice in Wonderland inspired, with giant roses
Tools: Copic markers

Maybe Little Red IS the Wolf…?
I think this one is my favorite piece, I'm thinking of redoing this one…
Tools: Pencil and charcoal

The last thing Little Red sees. (I actually wanted to use watercolors for this but that didn't work so well…)
This one's pretty neat!
Tools: Pencil

Little Red  is the alias of a Death Reaper
Nope, this is lame.
Tools: Watercolor paint

The Wolf is the underling of Little Red, ordered to take the grandmother's life
Also kind of lame…lol
Tools: Lining pens

Okay, looking back I look like a slightly morbid kid O.o but it's really cool to see improvement! Part of our Art III grade was hosting an art show of our pieces and one visitor has a daughter that collects Little Red Riding Hood art pieces! How cool is that??

Here are some other scraps I drew during junior year (I actually have tons of sketchbooks from every year I began drawing, but let's just stick with the nice pieces).

Drawing of a model from a clothing website
Tools: Pencil

We like to take scraps of nice boards that were in the cutting room and use them to make something creative
Tools: Acrylic paint & pencil


Wow, I think this is super cute!
Tools: Pencil & copic markers

Junior year was definitely the year where I began to draw more realistically and with mediums other than pencil & paper. I'm thinking of redoing some of these pieces, actually…

For senior year from Art IV, I found this picture of my pieces on display. I can't really find any of the pieces anymore, I wonder what happened O.o this is only half of them, I think.

From left to right, top to bottom is 1) my OC dancing with fans, 2) dragon in the rain, 3) rose dripping ink, 4) baby octopus with the sea inside of it, 5) a naked woman's back in the shower, 6) a siren that broke out of prison, 7) a girl curled up in the fetal position on her bed, 8) a very tall, thin & disproportionate (on purpose) man

The theme I chose that year was posture. Like I said, I started to draw more realistically and thought it would be cool if I chose something that sounded thoughtful, like "you can see the emotions of a person by the way they stand." Besides our concentration, we also draw random pieces around another theme completely different from our concentration. So I chose mythical creatures, like dragons or sirens.

I remember that our art teacher was forced to use these horrible critiques and that they were struggling to keep Art classes in school…the critique gave high points for having detail. But what about abstract art styles? Or simple pieces? They can still be good without having too much detail. Oh well, the past is in the past and I still did well~

I wonder where the rest of art pieces are? I hope I can find them!

Besides the art that I did for class, I do have tons more and I uploaded some on deviantArt while I was in school. Most of them I moved into the Scraps section, but I've recently become tons more active on dA and lots of my current pieces are on there.

I've moved into using copic markers and Photoshop CS6 for my pieces. I use color filters on my sketches to make them a little more appealing~ 

I also post my art on my tumblr, instagram, and twitter. All my links are on my Connect page and it would mean the world to me if you checked them out <3

Anyway, thanks for reading!~

PS: Share your old art below! See how much you've improved and doodle a doodle today <3

7 comments:

  1. I love Little Red Riding Hood so much! Your drawings are really amazing! Great work! <3

    Christina
    http://kissesandflowers.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're really talented and I especially like Alice in wonderland(3rd picture). I think you should never top drawing since you're really good at it. Keep up the good work.

    LEJA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, that means a lot to me X3 I definitely will keep drawing ^^~

      Delete
  3. wow your so talented. The christmas drawing is so cute!!

    Nivii x
    www.niviisdiary.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful drawings girls! You´re so talaented!:)

    xxMonica
    http://sunstreetmonidesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete